Skip to main content

IT’S NOT GOODBYE, I WILL SEE YOU LATER IN HEAVEN


   I had a few issues with my parents growing up, but I will always be grateful to them for instilling a strong faith into all of their children.  From an early age, my folks taught us to believe in eternal life.  I believe all my friends, family, loved ones and dogs are in heaven, where one day we will all be reunited forever.   

     It is hard to lose someone and the “support” group at that time can make it easier or much worse.  My little brother Bob was killed in a bicycle accident in December 1967, when I was a senior in high school.  It was devastating for our family and I felt sympathy from everyone, but folks are just at a loss.   

     Mostly, people look at you sadly, avoid eye contact and say nothing or something well intended,  but stupid.  Comments like, “the heavenly choir simply needed a new voice” or “he is home and is at peace”, do not comfort.  It is not that they don’t want to help, they simply don’t know what to do or say.

     Except for my friend, Bobby Ward.  When Bob died, Bobby came to our home and was just there.   He sat beside me and didn’t attempt to talk about Bob, the accident or make any sense of why this happened.  When I was back in class and would look around, Bobby was there walking with me.   Long after the funeral, he would drop by the house, hug my mother’s neck and simply sit with us and let us talk.  Bobby was a salvation to our family and provided me with the finest example of how to aid others in these situations.

     In my life I have been blessed with friends, some of my favorites have passed on.  Six who died too young make regular appearances in my dreams.  They are all in a group, laughing and regaling each other with stories of our exploits.  I am present, but not in the circle, they acknowledge my presence, but I am a couple of steps away…not quite part of the group.    I always wake up happy and grateful to have spent time with them and believe one day we will all be together, laughing over all the same stories.   

     One of the group, Dave was suddenly diagnosed with cancer and given around a year to live.  He called me, told me the news and said, “…we are all going to die, I am just checking out a little earlier than I planned.”  I began to weep.  In an effort to to cheer me, Dave suggested we get together, have dinner and play golf.  

     “You want to play golf?”    

     “Sure, I feel fine, I am just going to die within the year.”  So, Mizz Nancy and I went to their home, had dinner and we played golf  (he handily beat me).    He showed me an ad in the Wall Street Journal regarding a leasing program offered by Mercedes Benz.  One could drive a new, top of the line car with everything on it and not make a payment for a full year.   ALRIGHTY THEN!  Dave called up the toll free Mercedes number and inquired about the program.  “Let’s say, uh, just hypothetically,  the lessee dies before the first payment is due, are his heirs responsible?”

     “No, just the individual who signed the lease, we would simply take the car back.”   

      Dave did explain his situation, the Mercedes people expressed their condolences, but agreed to deliver as the ad promised and completed the deal over the phone.  Soon, Dave was driving a brand new Mercedes-Benz and did so for the next 9 months, before he got too weak and they came and retrieved it.  He died shortly afterwards, but went out with a smile on his face.

     I have experienced heaven on earth with my compadres, Charlie “Doc” Hinson and Harry Shier, while fishing at Harry's cottage in Spider Bay off Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.  Harry was the ultimate host and
shared his little piece of heaven with us more times than I can count.  I do not believe there is anything prettier than the Canadian foliage in the fall.  As with my friend Bobby Ward, no words were necessary.  We would drift along for hours without a sound, soaking up the beauty of God’s creation and enjoying each other’s presence.  The air was crisp, the leaves brilliant and it simply did not get any better.  Occasionally someone would accidentally catch a fish or we would witness something worthy of comment.   

     Once, we were slowly floating down an inlet and  saw a young couple arise from their tent, stretch, wave to us and kiss.  He proceeded to build the fire, as she drew water from the lake for coffee.  We watched this contented scene in silence, until Charlie said, “Look at that Buck, they have been up all night, making love like a couple of crazed monkeys…and here I am, with you.”

      One of my favorite humans of all time is Jim Wilson, Jr. of Montgomery, Alabama.  Jim developed shopping centers and had played football at Tulane, where he served as a trustee.  His personality was larger than life and he loved everyone.  I always felt he was a humanized version of the cartoon character, Foghorn Leghorn…he sounded like and looked like the affable rooster.  When Jim said he was praying for you, you felt it.  When he asked you to pray for him, you did it!   

     Jim was battling health issues for the last few years of his life and had allegedly healed.  One day, at a convention in Las Vegas he took my hand and placed it on his chest and said…”feel that tumor?   My doctors say it is nothing to worry about…well, we will see.”  He changes the subject… is laughing, joking and jocular.  

      About two months later he called, talked about a couple of his grandchildren, asked about my family and eventually said, “…well, I’m not going to make it.    My doctors say I have about 3 months…I didn’t want you to hear it from anybody else, I just want to tell you I love you and I will see you in heaven.”    

     I felt like a giant meteor had fallen from the sky and landed on my head.  I could not speak, my voice halted, tears spilled from my eyes and my nose started to run.  I sobbed and attempted to choke out some words, to no avail.  Finally after I had made several guttural noises in an attempt to speak,  Jim said, “Uh…Buck?  I’ve got an awful lot on my plate and I really don’t have the time to comfort you…why don’t you pull yourself together and give me a call!”  His candor made me laugh and I immediately felt better.  I agreed, hung up, wept and prayed.  I called Jim the next day, we prayed together and stayed in touch until the end.

     I look forward to seeing Dave, Jim, “Doc”, Harry, Pete Grimes and Ron Fullam (my dream team) and the rest of my loved ones when I get to heaven.  I read when we arrive in heaven, we will be surprised who we find there.   Further, there will be a lot of individuals who will be surprised to find us there.

      I have earnestly repented for all my sins and deeply regret hurting others.  I have forgiven all those who have hurt me and I want everyone to be in heaven.  Yet, I am still working through an issue…while I want everyone to go to heaven, I am hoping there are different parts of heaven, where I can still steer clear of some individuals.


     I know, I know…I am working on it. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Buck.
    I forgive you for all those bad leasing deals you made with me. 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty - How can you live with yourself after over charging for retail space over the years? I really don't believe the Lord cares that you over charged for Commn Area Maintence, but you should personally be ashamed of taking advantage of my naive nature.

      Delete
  2. Bucky, Jandetta Fawcett here, I have read all your blogs and they are awesome! I love your writings. My brother Joe sent me one via e-mail and told me to check them out. So glad I did. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jandetta...very nice to hear from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CAROL ANN COFFEE, YOU PLUCKED OUT MY HEART AND SQUISHED IT LIKE A GRAPE

      Two of my granddaughters are graduating from the second grade this month.   This realization produced a major flashback of my own graduation from second grade at Jefferson Elementary in Sherman, Texas, in May of 1958.      The last day of class we received our graduation certificates in a ceremony, followed by a picnic on the school grounds.   As we gathered our sack lunches, I saw a vacant seat at the table, adjacent to CAROL ANN COFFEE!   I had spent the entire school year worshipping Carol Ann Coffee from afar.   She was always pleasant, but didn’t really give me much thought.   I often sat on a bench during lunch watching her play or jump rope, daydreaming she would ask me to play with her.   Not unlike Charlie Brown from “Peanuts” who imagined the little red-hair girl paying attention to him, I was transfixed with Carol Ann Coffee.   She was taller than me, wore an abundance of petticoats and always appeared fresh and pretty.   I loved her laugh, her eyes would spa

BUCKY SAPPENFIELD FROM SHERMAN, TEXAS

    I grew up with the handle, Bucky Sappenfield.  At first glance, it does not appear too difficult, but there is something about the human brain that does not process my name.  Any new person in my life has a tendency to butcher the name, bestowed upon me by my parents.      On the first day of the 1st grade, my new teacher was calling role, got to me on the list, studied it for a moment before asking, “BUDDY SACKERFIELD?”    I didn’t know who she was talking about and finally she stared at me and said, ”Are you Buddy?”     “BUDDY?”  Where in the world did that come from?   She looked at the paper a bit longer and said, “Oh…Bucky.”  There is just something about that name.      We had a lady at the school office who insisted on calling me by my Christian name, George.  Yet, I didn’t know who she was talking to and it caused me more than one “dressing down” when I would not respond in a timely manner.          My 8th grade Science teacher, Mrs. Tocquigny, insisted on addr

THE DOWNTOWN SHERMAN TEXAS MONKEY

     For many years Kreager’s Feed and Seed was located on west Houston street, about half a block from the court house in downtown Sherman.   I enjoyed the dusty, musky smell in the dimly lit, cool cavern-like store.         Mr. Kreager had a sign by the front door which read, “Beware of Dog”.  I initially found this funny because the only dog on the premises was a very old, partially blind, stinky, flea bag of a mutt, with few teeth who snored in the middle of the store.  I quizzed Mr. Kreager why customers had to “Beware”.  He said,  “I want them to beware not to step on my dog.  He is an old man and has earned the right to nap without someone tripping over him.”      The store also boasted a brightly colored parrot which stood on a red pedestal.  When Mr. Kreager was occupied elsewhere, we were able to teach the bird to recite all the profanity we knew.  He was eventually reprogramed by his owner and kept closer to the main counter, under management’s watchful eye.