Skip to main content

MONUMENTS, STATUES, PLAQUES AND CARMEN COLLINSWORTH BOWEN!

     I spent a great part of my life attempting to collect and understand information, only learning later I had it wrong from the beginning.    As a child of the 1950’s, I was shunted to the side when asking questions or misinterpreted the scraps of details given to me.

     Some of the citizens of Charlottesville, Virginia, were recently protesting the city council approving the sale of statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.  In our melting pot of American cities, where folks move in and out from other locations, these monuments are not as popular with the majority, as they were in an earlier age.  The protesters met shouts of, “The war is over, the South lost…get over it.”  This would not have played well in an earlier age in Charlottesville or my home of Sherman, Texas.

     We have one of the earliest monuments to the Confederate soldiers in the country, sitting on the Grayson County courthouse square.  As a young child, I thought they had selected a dead confederate soldier, coated him in concrete, hoisted him to the top of the monument and bolted him into place.  His bones were to rest high atop the community, gazing over downtown Sherman forever.    


     The same type of assumptions went for any monument or sign around town,  referring to historic figures.  I would get a glimpse inside the sanctuary of the Catholic church on South Travis Street as I walked by.  Inside was a statue of Jesus, his chest was open and his heart was a purplish red.    I KNEW that was the body of Jesus!  He had been kind of laminated and propped up behind the altar!   As a kid, I would ask, “Is that Jesus in there?”     

     “Yes, that is Jesus.”    Well, there you are!  No clarification, no hesitation…that is Jesus Christ, his body resting forever on South Travis Street in Sherman, Texas.  And why not?  The entire world I knew was Sherman, Texas!  Crockett, Travis, Houston…they were all buried around town as well…that’s why we had these streets named for them, so people would know where to find their bodies.

     With this in mind, a great moment for me to remember and for the state of Texas to commemorate, is adding a marker where I received my first, non-grandma kiss … it was a kiss from a pretty, eye-lash fluttering, sweet-smelling young maiden named Linda Eatherly.  I think it was around the 7th grade and my greatest fear was I would faint from the ecstasy!  I am just not certain of the exact location.   

     Some years ago, I was back in Sherman for a 1968 class reunion.  Our teachers, Norman Bennett and Jerry Young, were present, as we shared stories of our time since graduating.  Carmen Collinsworth Bowen was a nurse at the Wilson N. Jones hospital emergency room and Norman relayed a story of bringing his wife in by ambulance.  She had experienced a health issue and the attendants were not optimistic.  Norman was panicked, gripped in fear and Carmen declared in the emergency room, “No one was going to be lost on her watch!”  With tears in his eyes, Norman detailed how Carmen went to work, brought his bride around and saved her life.  When he had completed his story, we were all choked up and smiling through tears at our remarkable friend, Carmen. 

     Our classmate, David Brawner, shared going into insulin shock around Christmas one year and was raced to the hospital.  He could not see, but could feel people all over him, sticking him with needles and monitoring his vital signs.  In his darkness, he inquired if his friend, Carmen Bowen, was on duty.    David said he felt someone squeeze his hand and he heard Carmen’s voice, which spoke with the authority of an angel of God say,  “Don’t worry…I am here.”  She pulled David through.

     Plaques and statues to recognize the heroic  individuals of our civilization are important.  However, rather than fuss about a war that took place over 150 years ago, I suggest we use that same energy to recognize today’s heroes, so their actions will be emulated by a younger generation, seeking excellence and to be the best. 

    Carmen, who has saved others, but lost her own son and husband is an example to us all.  She quietly goes about saving lives, blessing others and fulfilling God’s plan for her life, by utilizing the talents He entrusted to her. 


     One day, that would make a nice monument from which to gain inspiration, on the court house square.   “Well done Carmen, good and faithful servant.”

Comments

  1. gosh Bucky! its humbling to read such praise! Thank you for the kind words! forever a nurse Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, sweetheart...you are a special individual.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CAROL ANN COFFEE, YOU PLUCKED OUT MY HEART AND SQUISHED IT LIKE A GRAPE

      Two of my granddaughters are graduating from the second grade this month.   This realization produced a major flashback of my own graduation from second grade at Jefferson Elementary in Sherman, Texas, in May of 1958.      The last day of class we received our graduation certificates in a ceremony, followed by a picnic on the school grounds.   As we gathered our sack lunches, I saw a vacant seat at the table, adjacent to CAROL ANN COFFEE!   I had spent the entire school year worshipping Carol Ann Coffee from afar.   She was always pleasant, but didn’t really give me much thought.   I often sat on a bench during lunch watching her play or jump rope, daydreaming she would ask me to play with her.   Not unlike Charlie Brown from “Peanuts” who imagined the little red-hair girl paying attention to him, I was transfixed with Carol Ann Coffee.   She was taller than me, wore an abundance of petticoats and always appeared fresh and pretty.   I loved her laugh, her eyes would spa

BUCKY SAPPENFIELD FROM SHERMAN, TEXAS

    I grew up with the handle, Bucky Sappenfield.  At first glance, it does not appear too difficult, but there is something about the human brain that does not process my name.  Any new person in my life has a tendency to butcher the name, bestowed upon me by my parents.      On the first day of the 1st grade, my new teacher was calling role, got to me on the list, studied it for a moment before asking, “BUDDY SACKERFIELD?”    I didn’t know who she was talking about and finally she stared at me and said, ”Are you Buddy?”     “BUDDY?”  Where in the world did that come from?   She looked at the paper a bit longer and said, “Oh…Bucky.”  There is just something about that name.      We had a lady at the school office who insisted on calling me by my Christian name, George.  Yet, I didn’t know who she was talking to and it caused me more than one “dressing down” when I would not respond in a timely manner.          My 8th grade Science teacher, Mrs. Tocquigny, insisted on addr

THE DOWNTOWN SHERMAN TEXAS MONKEY

     For many years Kreager’s Feed and Seed was located on west Houston street, about half a block from the court house in downtown Sherman.   I enjoyed the dusty, musky smell in the dimly lit, cool cavern-like store.         Mr. Kreager had a sign by the front door which read, “Beware of Dog”.  I initially found this funny because the only dog on the premises was a very old, partially blind, stinky, flea bag of a mutt, with few teeth who snored in the middle of the store.  I quizzed Mr. Kreager why customers had to “Beware”.  He said,  “I want them to beware not to step on my dog.  He is an old man and has earned the right to nap without someone tripping over him.”      The store also boasted a brightly colored parrot which stood on a red pedestal.  When Mr. Kreager was occupied elsewhere, we were able to teach the bird to recite all the profanity we knew.  He was eventually reprogramed by his owner and kept closer to the main counter, under management’s watchful eye.