Skip to main content

WE ARE GOING TO GET YOUR MIND RIGHT… AND I MEAN RIGHT!

     When I entered the 7th grade at the Sherman, Texas, Piner Junior High School in the fall of 1962, it presented a entirely new page of worldliness and sophistication.  I was no longer in a grade school of freshly-scrubbed students with pre-adolescent voices, where boys and girls had roughly the same physique.  This was a new world of “almost” young adults, puberty was rampant and it was extremely intimidating.

    




 We showered after P.E. with 9th graders, some who were haired-over, well- endowed men and the rest of us resembled pudgy babies.  There was a core of 9th grade male students who looked like they may have been held back a few grades over the years.  Most of them were shaving, smoked regularly and a couple even drove cars to school!  Their girlfriends looked like grown women, quite buxom, with a lot of make up and reeking of sexuality.  This was an overwhelming onslaught of sophistication and maturity for an 11
year old knucklehead like me.   It was like James Dean going to school with Howdy Doody and I was just not going to measure up.

     Shortly after beginning the 7th grade, I was reprimanded for talking in class (an on-going complaint throughout my education.)  I did it a second time and this teacher flew into a rage.  She dragged me down to the office and complained to our assistant principal about my behavior.  She said I would not listen to her mandates and she did not intend to deal with a juvenile delinquent like me.   Her quote was right out of a movie, not to come out for a few more years, “Cool Hand Luke.”  Holding me under my arm, up on my tip toes she exclaimed, “You HAVE to get this boy’s mind right and I mean RIGHT!”

     I believe our assistant principal’s name was Dolphus Haddock.  He was a young, nice man and he seemed just as intimidated by my instructor, as I was.  He promised, “We will get Bucky’s mind right!”   This meant I wasn’t going to get whacked by a board and sent back or stay after school in her room, she was too angry.  I was informed, due to her overwhelming prejudice towards me, this would require a complete brain washing.  I had to stay after school in a room with the other thugs who could not  behave themselves and mingle with polite society.   This should take about a week, but it was all up to me to demonstrate the cleansing of my soul and to convince the administration “my mind was right.”  This was “souped up, double secret detention”…reserved for the worst of the worst. 

     I had signed up for band and was supposed to be learning to play this ancient, silver, metal clarinet my great great grandfather had allegedly played during the Civil War.  I was arguably the worst clarinet player to ever darken the doors of Piner Junior High and had only signed up because we got to leave class early.  Practice was after school and I pointed out this punishment would interfere with my music career, thereby punishing the entire band.  Mr. Haddock contacted Mr. Chapman, our band director, with the news of my confinement and he could not have cared less.  He did not see me as a long term contributor to the band’s success.  

     That afternoon I reported to the detention room with Mr. Haddock and my criminal brother-“hoods”.   I was the only student from the 7th grade.  The others were these gangsters, straight from the casting of “Blackboard

Jungle.”  Most had greasy, combed-back hair with sideburns, cigarettes in their shirt pockets or rolled up in the sleeve of their tee shirt.  All were crowded into the back of the room in undersized, one piece desks.  They were watching me with  “wolf-like”, green, evil eyes and chuckling to themselves over my obvious terror.

     I turned pale, gulped and beseeched Mr. Haddock with a heartfelt, “Please Mr. Haddock my mind is right…I will never talk in class again.”   

     He said, “Just sit anywhere Bucky.”  

     My new fellow inmates howled!    “BUNKY?   HIS NAME IS BUNKY?”…HA, HA, HA, HA…   

     “All right settle down”

     ”HEY BUNKY, COME SIT BACK HERE WITH ME!”   … “YEAH, COME ON BACK HERE BUNKY!”

     I moved to the back with “students” who looked as old as my father.  They smelled of Wild-Root cream oil, cigarettes and bad breath.  Mr. Haddock began reading his paper and these grown outlaws turned their attention to me.  In a high-staged whisper one asked, “So Bunky…what are you doing here in detention?    What did you do?” 

     “I was talking in class.” 

     “TALKING?”   

     “THAT’S IT?    TALKING?”

     They all started choking with muffled laughter. 

      Attempting to be polite, I asked, “Well, what did you do?”  The head “hood” produced a rather long knife and began cleaning his fingernails.  

     He nonchalantly said,  “Murder.”  

     I immediately felt faint and turned ghostly white.    “Mu-mu-murder?”     

     “Yeah, I stabbed a teacher, but he hasn’t died yet…that’s why I am in detention.  If he dies, I go to jail and then it’s on to the Sherman electric chair”.  (All the outlaws were stifling laughter.)

     Mr. Haddock looked up from his paper and asked, “Bucky, are you OK?”    

     The leader of the hoods said, “Yeah Mr. Haddock, Bunky don’t look too good.”  I asked to go to the restroom and splashed cold water on my face.  I fought back the desire to hurl lunch and sat on the cold restroom floor for a few minutes.    

     I returned to detention, excused myself from my fellow prisoners and pretended to focus on homework, while silently reciting the 23rd Psalm, over ands over.  After our time was up and Mr. Haddock said we could leave,  the hoods asked if I needed a ride..(“psst…come with us Bunky…we’re going to knock over a 7-11 on the way home”)  I thanked them profusely, but declined and walked home.    

     The next day I wept, begged and apologized to the teacher I had offended and she told Mr. Haddock she felt my mind was right.  My mind WAS right!  My fellow detention-ees kind of drifted away from school after awhile and I would see the “chieftain-hood” around Sherman, where I was greeted with a, “Hi-ya there Bunky!  Been talking in class or knocking over any banks?”   


     My mother would ask, “Who is that MAN? What is that about?”  I gave a feeble smile and shrugged.   For the rest of the year, I simply assumed the stabbed teacher had lived and this kept my new buddy, “the leader of the pack”,  out of the Sherman electric chair.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUCKY SAPPENFIELD FROM SHERMAN, TEXAS

    I grew up with the handle, Bucky Sappenfield.  At first glance, it does not appear too difficult, but there is something about the human brain that does not process my name.  Any new person in my life has a tendency to butcher the name, bestowed upon me by my parents.      On the first day of the 1st grade, my new teacher was calling role, got to me on the list, studied it for a moment before asking, “BUDDY SACKERFIELD?”    I didn’t know who she was talking about and finally she stared at me and said, ”Are you Buddy?”     “BUDDY?”  Where in the world did that come from?   She looked at the paper a bit longer and said, “Oh…Bucky.”  There is just something about that name.      We had a lady at the school office who insisted on calling me by my Christian name, George.  Yet, I didn’t know who she was talking to and it caused me more than one “dressing down” when I would not respond in a timely manner.          My 8th grade Science teacher, Mrs. Tocquigny, insisted on addr

IT’S NOT GOODBYE, I WILL SEE YOU LATER IN HEAVEN

    I had a few issues with my parents growing up, but I will always be grateful to them for instilling a strong faith into all of their children.   From an early age, my folks taught us to believe in eternal life.   I believe all my friends, family, loved ones and dogs are in heaven, where one day we will all be reunited forever.          It is hard to lose someone and the “support” group at that time can make it easier or much worse.  My little brother Bob was killed in a bicycle accident in December 1967, when I was a senior in high school.  It was devastating for our family and I felt sympathy from everyone, but folks are just at a loss.         Mostly, people look at you sadly, avoid eye contact and say nothing or something well intended,  but stupid.  Comments like, “the heavenly choir simply needed a new voice” or “he is home and is at peace”, do not comfort.  It is not that they don’t want to help, they simply don’t know what to do or say.      Except for my f

MY DOG AND TREASURE, HEATHER MARY OF SHERMAN, TEXAS

     When I think of the significant family members growing up in Sherman,  I am always think about our Scotty dog, Heather Mary.  She was a constant source of affection, joy and protection in my childhood.     Heather Mary came to us once after my mother took debris to the Sherman, Texas, garbage dump.   Heather was a spry, fully grown Scotty dog, already a bit hefty and stinky.   She joyfully ran to my mother, wanted her tummy scratched and insisted on getting in the car when mother was ready to leave.  She had no tags and we felt she must have been abused because she was so grateful for any food and affection.      Heather Mary moved in and lived with us for the next 18 years.  Heather was protective of we three boys, accompanied us as we delivered papers,  went to cub scouts or played in the school yard.   If we  wrestled with friends or played football, we had to put Heather Mary inside because she would race to our protection and nip our opponents.  If my pa